Thursday, November 6, 2008

El Presidente Negro

This isn't Mexico related, but I'd like to congratulate everyone on a successful election day, complete with a Christine Gregoire come-from-behind victory (I don't know much about Gregoire but she doesn't seem that great), and a crushing defeat of McCain at the hands of a black guy. We watched the election coverage at Donna's house (she's the daycare founder). We showed up at around 6pm to make sure we saw the results of every state, then stuffed our faces with tostadas, guacamole, quesadillas, and banana bread for the next several hours. I don't have a whole lot to say about the evening, except that California should be embarrassed and McCain should never forgive himself for choosing Palin. McCain's speach didn't seem totally genuine, but nobody enjoys losing like that so I can't blame him. I tried to laugh off the John chants of his crowd in Arizona, but the site of such typical frat-boy-looking young republicans will never fail to annoy me. I admit I can be cynical, which is why I've always buried the concern in my brain that Obama would turn out to be a little bit of a hope monger, especially considering the sloppy seconds he's inhereting, but I was thoroughly impressed with one aspect of his speech: it was completely smile-less. He didn't show one iota of giddy excitement over his convincing win... he seemed sober, focused, and ready, if not stoic. Those speeches, like each of the few political speeches I've ever Chinewe water-tortured myself with, never say anything substantial, but his composure convinced me that he means business.

Most of the Mexicans I've talked to were aware of the election, but surprised to hear that I supported the black candidate. It would have been exciting to be in the US for such an historical election (even for somone who usually steers clear of everything political), but I supposed I'll never forget where I was on election day. Let's hope the next 4-8 years don't include an assassination date to remember, too.

BERG'S EYE VIEW

I'm keeping this one short.

-People here, walking on the sidewalk, walk on the left! Not a day goes by that I don't do the exuse-me dance with a Mexican person trying to pass my right side as I try to pass their left. Honestly... porque?

No comments: