Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Felíz Cumpleaños

Tyler´s Birthday. Happy birthday, bruh... No idea if you actually read this, but if you do you can put in a request for some kind of Mexican birthday gift that you won´t get until around Christmas time. You´ll probably get some kind of Mexican Christmas gift as well.


In other news...


I´ll have a few more people to talk about behind their backs this weekend. Amanda´s (the remaining roommate/volunteer) sister is coming in on Friday for a short visit, as are two new Slovenian volunteers who will be here for a month. I´ve never met anyone Slovenian, so that should be... well probably unremarkable unless they´re both slammin´ 23-year old girls (cross your fingers). Luckily Christina moved out just in time for me to claim the other top floor, private bedroom. Also, I wrote in the last post about the crazy party for La Alborada. Apparently the party never really stopped until bright and early Monday morning, but it did take a more innocent turn. Starting at around 5pm Saturday evening there was a parade that paused, but never really stopped until late Sunday night. A bunch of tribes from around the area dressed up in impressive, elaborate tribal costumes and danced through the streets in the center of town. I took some pictures that I´ll post later, but they don´t do the costumes justice. I started taking pictures of the daycare chillens as well so those should be up by the weekend. I even took one of the stupid little girl who showed up today and appears to hate me. If she warms up to me by Friday I´ll consider putting her picture up. Otherwise it´s straight to the basura. Speaking of garbage, I´ve picked up my reading pace in the last few days. On Sunday I finished a book, read all of another one, and started a third. I´ll probably finish The Kite Runner today and start another tomorrow. Much more time-worthy are the dirty jokes Miguel and his friends like to tell each other. They pretty much all go like this: spanishspanishspanishspanishspanishPROSTITUTEspanishspanishSPANIIIISHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHA! ...I don´t get it...


A note about the food here...


Qué rico. It is delicious. I´ve probably had 50 tacos so far and I have no intentions of slowing down. If anything I might start having them more often. Typically I get five a time for dinner for 30 pesos ($3) from this place down the block. There are a couple more hoopty taco stands even closer to my house that I´ll try within the next couple days. All of the salsa is spicy as sin and I love it. There are chilis in everything. On one of my bus trips they gave me a snack bag with a pre-packaged ham and cheese and jalapeño sandwich. I´m going to start making those myself. Tamales are around 5 pesos each (do the math), and tortas are 15 or so. Considering I have 10 meals a week at the daycare, I´m doing a relatively good job of budgeting. One thing I have not tried, but inevitably will, are the chicken feet the daycare workers snack on when we have pollo for lunch. Clearly, it looks absolutely revolting.


OH! I also made sure to take a picture of one of the crazy old-ass white women I mentioned before. There is a group shot containing three of them and a close-up of the most typical one.


Final note: My address is something like:

#80 Avenida Colonial

Infonavit Malanquin

San Miguel De Allende, Mexico


Not that anyone would, but don´t send mail to this address. 1) It could very well be incorrect, and 2) We don´t get mail delivered to the house. The address is for those of you who were trying to find me on Google Earth.


No comments: